Almont Legion Post No. 479 approved the organizing of an Almont Legion Auxiliary Unit – September 20, 1950
- Jim Wade
- September 20, 2018
- 1 Min Read
On September 20, 1950, Almont Legion Post No. 479 approved of the organizing of an Almont Legion Auxiliary Unit. The Unit would include the wives, sisters, and mothers of Legion members.
On October 4, 1950, women interested in forming the Unit met in the “Legion Dugout”, which was a room in the back of Earl Cochrane’s store (southwest corner at the four corners). Present were, Mrs. Henry Surtees from Lapeer and Mrs. Lois Haar of Port Huron, who was President of the 7th District of which Unit 479 was a member. Mrs. Haar gave an informative talk on Auxiliary work.
On October 16, 1950, eleven women met to organize the Auxiliary Unit. The women elected the following officers:
|First Vice-President||Marie Hayes|
|Second Vice-President||Kathleen Kidder|
|Sgt. At Arms||Ida Brown|