Dr. David Henry Burley Starts Medical Practice – June 21, 1893
- Jim Wade
- June 21, 2018
- 2 Min Read
On June 21, 1893, Dr. David Henry Burley opened his medical practice in Almont. He practiced in Almont for 66 years – right up to his death on April 20, 1959 at the age of 95.
Dr. David Henry Burley was born on October 16, 1863 in Thetford, Ontario, Canada. He studied at the University of Toronto and the University of Michigan, where he studied pharmacy. He received his medical degree from the Detroit School of Medicine.
He began his medical career in Almont on June 21, 1893. His office was at 122 S. Main Street (the building just to the north of the “Tempest Air offices – 2018.).
Dr. Burley initially made his rounds by means of his horse and buggy. He kept four horses ready for use. He would return to town, change horses and hurry to his next patient.
Dr. Burley and his brother, Dr. Jacob Burley, purchased the Hotel Almont (now Muir Brothers Funeral Home) and converted it into a hospital. When Dr. Jacob Burley moved his practice to Port Huron, Dr. David Burley gave the hospital to the Village of Almont. It would eventually close.
In 1910, Dr. Burley purchased a “Carter” automobile and retired his horse and buggy. It is probable there were times when Dr. Burley returned to using his horse and buggy, especially in the spring when the local gravel roads turned into muddy bogs.
Dr. Burley practiced in Almont for 66 years. He passed away on April 20, 1959 at the age of 95. He married Alice Cochrane in Almont in 1895. Alice was the daughter of John Cochrane Sr. and Mary Reynolds Cochrane. David and Alice are buried in the Ferguson Cemetery in Almont, Michigan.