Horatio Earle Monument Dedicated – August 21, 1930
- Jim Wade
- August 21, 2017
- 2 Min Read
On August 21, 1930, the monument to recognize Horatio Earle’s contribution to the roads of Michigan was dedicated. The monument was erected at the curve at the north end of town – where Howland Road continues due north. The monument was disassembled in the late 1980’s and moved to Murphy Park and reassembled.
To recognize Horatio Earle’s contribution to the roads of Michigan, the M-53 highway was designated as the “Earle Memorial Superhighway” and a monument was erected in Almont at the curve at the north end of town – where Howland Road continues due north. The monument was dedicated on August 21, 1930. The monument has seven plates that indicate the seven counties (Macomb, Oakland, St. Clair, Lapeer, Sanilac, Tuscola, and Huron) serviced by the road. This was the last of three monuments erected in his honor during his lifetime.
It also has a dedication plaque that honors not only Horatio Earle but also Almont’s own state senator, Charles B. Scully who secured the legislation that made the road a truck line highway. The monument was disassembled in the late 1980’s and moved to Murphy Park and reassembled. Though unofficially designated as the Earl Memorial Highway with the construction and dedication of the monument, it wasn’t until 2001 that the State legislature officially designated M-53 as the “Earle Memorial Highway.”
Monuments were also constructed in Cass City and Mackinaw City. The Cass City monument is one mile east of town at the intersection of M-81 and Schwegler Road. It is a 12,000 pound granite block. It commemorates the construction of the first road funded by state-aid funds that was located just east of Cass City in Elkland Township. At one of those dedication ceremonies, Horatio expressed his appreciation but was quoted as having said, “The monument I prize most is not measured by its height, but by its length in miles”. The monument at Cass City was dedicated on August 24, 1917.