Liberty Pole Taken Down – July 17, 1919
- Jim Wade
- July 17, 2019
- 1 Min Read
On July 17, 1919, due to its deteriorated condition, the “Liberty Pole” was taken down.
After fifty-four years of standing on the northeast corner of Main Street and St. Clair Street, the “Liberty Pole” was removed. It was not replaced because the timber from which it was originally constructed no longer existed.
The “Liberty Pole” was constructed in June of 1865 and raised and dedicated on July 4, 1865. The “Pole” was constructed to commemorate the Civil War service of the men of Almont. The “Pole” stood 112 feet tall and a band stand was later constructed. The band stand was sixteen feet in diameter and through the years was the sight of many band concerts.
Share This Article