Township Baseball Fields Dedicated – October 9, 1953
- Jim Wade
- October 9, 2022
- 3 Min Read
On October 9, 1953, the new football field was dedicated at 7:30 p.m. before the game against eventual league champion Capac.
In 1952, a group of interested Almonters met to form the “Almont Community Project”. The purpose of the “Almont Community Project” was to construct new lighted athletic fields (baseball and football).
The growth in the school’s enrollment, which led to the construction of the 1952 addition to the school building raised concerned that the location of the existing fields would create the need for additional property to be acquired – either for additional classroom construction or relocation of the athletic fields.
The “Almont Community Project” (ACP) sought to be proactive and move the fields before it was absolutely necessary to do so. Edward Reagan was the driving force behind this project.
Before 1953, the school district’s baseball and football fields were behind and slightly toward the north of the school building on Church Street. The baseball field had faced to the southwest and the football field was aligned along a north/south line. The new fields were constructed north of the school building and north of the extension of Sullivan Street. The new baseball field faced to the northwest and the football field was in the outfield of the baseball field. The football field ran from the northeast to the southwest. The erection of the light poles allowed football and baseball games to be played at night. Prior to that time, all local baseball and football games were played in the afternoon.
The lighted baseball and football field was completed just before the start of the 1953 football season. The lighting system was installed by the James L. Bentley Electric Service Co.
The first game under the lights was the first game of the season. It was September 18, 1953 against North Branch. North Branch won 20 to 6.
The field was dedicated on October 9, 1953 at 7:30 p.m. before the game against eventual league champion Capac. Capac won 13 to 0. This game was the first time the new public address system was used. The system was donated in memory and honor of Lt. Roy Erwin Park U.S.N.R. who died while in service to our country. The system was donated by Roy’s wife and children, Pamela and Timothy Scott; his parents, Samuel Park and Anna Jane Miller Park; brother Floyd Summer Park and wife, Bessie May Burgess Park and children, Doss Burgess Park and Dale Floyd Park; sister, Carol Gertrude “Gertie” Park Brooks and her husband, Irwin “Red” Brooks and their children, Lee Park Brooks, Carol Dawne Brooks, and Alan David Brooks; and friends in Almont and Columbus, Ohio.